ASRock has a history of cramming an inordinate amount of power in a small space, so maximizing the potential of Intel’s 10th gen platform on an ITX board doesn’t come as much of a surprise. ASRock’s new Z490 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 marries Intel’s Z490 chipset with a 9-phase, 90A actively cooled VRM for overclocking support for Intel’s 10-core Core i9-10900K with premium features like 2.5Gb Ethernet, Intel WIFi 6, and even on-board Thunderbolt 3. It certainly looks great on paper, but how does it actually perform? Read on to find out!
PC Test Bench would like to thank ASRock for sending us the Z490 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 check out!
ASRock’s Take on the Z490 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3:
Phantom Gaming is designed by gamers and for gamers! Underneath its relentless appearance lie plentiful gaming-oriented features and excellent gaming capabilities. It’s all about bringing a new gaming experience to gamers!
Optimized for Water Cooling – XXL Aluminum Alloy Heatsink with Active FAN Design
XXL Aluminum Alloy Heatsink design with an active fan that effectively improves heat dissipation and promotes overall performance. This is aimed for die-hard gamers and enthusiasts to bring a new computing experience paired with Intel’s 10-core processors.
Thunderbolt™ 3 Technology
Thunderbolt™ 3 technology brings speed and versatility to the most advanced USB Type-C, offering a fast and simple level of connection for work or home. It enables lightning-fast data transfer up to 40Gbps and connects up to 3 Thunderbolt™ 3 devices with a single wire, and even provides quick charging with 5V@3A (15W). Just experience the world’s fastest connectivity with Thunderbolt™ ready motherboards!
Base Frequency Boost (BFB) Technology
Whoever said that only K series CPUs and the Z-family platform are capable of being performed with maximum power. Via ASRock BFB (Boost Frequency Boost) Technology, users may install their non-K series CPUs to ASRock’s selected 400 series motherboards and enjoy the base frequency boost with the hidden power of processors immediately.
- Supports 10th Gen and future generation Intel® Core™ Processors (Socket 1200)
- Supports DDR4 4666MHz+ (OC)
- 1 PCIe 3.0 x16
- Graphics Output Options: HDMI, DisplayPort, Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3
- 1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec), Nahimic Audio
- 4 SATA3, 2 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)
- 1 Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Type-C
- 3 USB 3.2 Gen2 10Gb/s (Rear)
- 4 USB 3.2 Gen1 5Gb/s (2 Front, 2 Rear)
- Intel® Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax (2.4Gbps) + BT 5.1
- Phantom Gaming 2.5 Gigabit LAN
- Polychrome SYNC
- LGA1200 Socket – Supports Intel 10th Generation Core Processors
- Mini-ITX Form-Factor
- 9-phase Digi Power
- Intel Z490 Chipset
- 2x DDR4 memory slots – Supports 4666MHz+ OC, max 64GB, Supports ECC memory
- On-board Thunderbolt 3
- HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.4
- 5Gb Realtek Dragon LAN
- Intel WiFi 6 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.1
- Dual M.2 slots – support PCIe 3.0 and SATA drives up to 80mm long.
- 8 Layer, 2-oz Copper PCB